Suffolk County Property Search
Records containing information about real estate in Suffolk County, New York, are called property records. The property records include all information connected to a property, including ownership, location, and other details. The maintenance of property records falls under the purview of the Suffolk County Clerk's Office, which also disseminates related Sufflock County Public Records.
The Clerk's Office maintains such property records for every county citizen who transacts in real estate or owns property within the county's boundaries. Property records are helpful for legal purposes, including resolving disputes, learning a property's historical value, and figuring out who the owner of a property is, among other information that can be obtained.
Are Suffolk County Property Records Public?
Yes. According to the New York Freedom of Information Act, Suffolk County property records are public records, which means that anyone in the public can access them. However, records containing certain information are restricted from public access.
- Property records that have been exempt from disclosure by state/federal laws or court orders.
- Property records that, when disclosed, will constitute an unwarranted invasion of privacy. Information such as social security numbers, email addresses, or social network usernames is collected from taxpayers.
- Property records that, if disclosed, would impair present or imminent contract award or collective bargaining negotiations.
- The appropriate agency in Suffolk County for disseminating property records is the county clerk’s office, and as the official custodians, are saddled with the responsibility of ensuring that all property records remain accessible to the public.
What Do Suffolk County Property Records Contain?
Titles, property deeds, mortgages, records of property tax assessments, and other papers that provide information on lands, residences, and commercial properties are the most common types of real estate documents found in Suffolk County property records. A typical Suffolk County property search would reveal the following details:
- Information about the location, including the parcel ID number, the address, the county, the latitude and longitude, the section, and the lot.
- Name, address, price, and other ownership details are included.
- Information about property taxes, including the tax year, the market value of the property, the base tax, and the current tax.
- Details about the land, including property class, acreage, road type, and site preference.
- Information on the structure, including the year it was built, its size in square feet, stories, and bedrooms.
- Photographs of the property.
- Maps that offer vistas from an aerial perspective.
Where to Perform Suffolk County Property Lookup
The Suffolk County Clerk’s Office has an online database where anybody with an interest can search for property records, such as mortgages, deeds, and other documents. Property searches within the county can typically be done online, in person at the Clerk’s Office, or by mail.
Persons conducting an online search for deed and mortgage information would need the property tax map ID. If the user does not know the tax map ID, they can search using the property address. Persons sending a mail request may also send a letter describing the property and the specific information sought to the Clerk's Office or the Property Assessor’s Office.
Suffolk County Clerk’s Office
310 Center Drive
Riverhead, NY 11901
How to Perform a Property Owner Lookup in Suffolk County
The County Clerk's Office and the several Assessor's Offices, where these properties are registered across the municipalities in the county, also offer an online repository where searchers can find information about property owners in Suffolk County.
For the online option, use the Tax Map ID number or property address to find ownership information. Interested parties can also visit these government agencies in person to request ownership information. The requester would receive the property owner's information after providing the necessary details to facilitate a search and pay processing fees.
Alternatively, interested persons may consult government-approved third-party online repositories to obtain ownership information. However, users of these services should exercise caution as the accuracy of such data may not be guaranteed. Thus, information obtained from these sources cannot be used for official or legal purposes.
How to Find Suffolk County Property Records Online
The Suffolk County Clerk's Office offers a free online database where the general public can access property records; however, there are costs associated with retrieving copies of the records. A certified copy of a deed, for example, costs $5.00. Depending on the type of document and the number of copies requested, there may be additional fees for more than one copy, and other document types may cost more.
Third-party aggregation websites are also useful for finding Suffolk County property records online. These websites frequently offer limited public access to property records for a fee, but in most cases, users must subscribe for full access.
How to Find Property Owner by Address Free
Users of the Suffolk County Clerk Office's web portal can conduct searches using a property's address by entering the address in the address field and clicking the search button. This search tool would produce search results with owner information for free, but there would be fees if the requester wanted to get certified copies of the data. The other option is to go to the County Clerk's Office or the Property Assessor's Office, where the record was registered to get the ownership details. Although certified copies are not free, viewing the records is free.
Suffolk County Property Tax Lookup
The Real Property Tax Service Agency's web portal is available to Suffolk County residents who are interested in conducting a property tax information search. The agency offers allows customers to access real-time tax data through the Real Property Tax Map Viewer. Searchers will need the parcel ID, address, or ownership details to facilitate a search. Inquirers can also view or acquire copies of property tax information in person at the property assessor's office.
How to Find Suffolk County Property Appraiser
Property Appraisers in Suffolk County are listed on the websites of several Assessors. Users can access the internet portal for their particular towns to learn more about the property appraisers available in the county because the property appraisal procedure starts at the town assessor's office site.
For instance, on the web page of the Town of Huntington, there’s a list of departments under the government section where visitors can search for different appraisers. Additionally, anyone who is interested can simply go to the assessor's office to inquire about the various property appraisers the county has to offer.
Suffolk County Property Assessor
The Suffolk County Town Assessors provide the following services to residents:
- Tax assessments
- Annual assessment roll
- Maintain and Research; Ownership Records, New York State real property tax exemptions, property data and inventory, and utility special franchise properties.
- Consistently updates ownership records through deed transfers.
- Evaluates each piece of real estate included on the town assessment roll to determine its taxable value. The annual Tax Warrant (the amount to be collected in property tax for the Town, Suffolk County, villages, school districts, and other taxing bodies) is allocated in accordance with the town assessment roll.
Below are the Assessor’s Office locations:
Babylon Town Assessor
200 East Sunrise Highway
Lindenhurst NY, 11757
Phone: (631) 957-3014
1 Independence Hill
Farmingville NY 11738
Phone: (631) 451-6300
East Hampton Assessor
300 Pantigo Place
East Hampton, NY 11937
Phone: (631) 324-4187
Huntington Town Assessor
100 Main Street
Huntington, NY 11743
Phone: (631) 351-3226
Islip Town Assessor
40 Nassau Avenue
Islip, NY 11751
Phone: (631) 224-5585
Riverhead Township Assessor
200 Howell Avenue
Riverhead, NY 11901
Phone: (631) 727-3200
Shelter Island Assessor
44 North Ferry Road
P.O. Box 970
Shelter Island, NY 11964
Phone: (631) 749-1080
40 Maple Avenue
Smithtown, NY 11787
Phone: (631) 360-7560
Southampton Township Assessor
116 Hampton Road
Southampton, NY 11968
Phone: (631) 283-6020
Southold Town Assessor
53095 Route 25
P.O. Box 1179
Southold, NY 11971
Phone: (631) 765-1937